- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, I like earth balance, or use olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped small
- 1 and 1/2 lbs (approx 700 grams) sliced cremini mushrooms (brown mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 (1 litre) carton mushroom broth, about 4 and 1/2 cups*
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour or a gluten free blend*
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef Soup Base
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1- 14 fluid oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Add the butter, onions and a pinch of salt and pepper to a large soup pot (I use my Dutch Oven). Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes or so until onions are softening and browning. Stir in garlic.
- Now add the mushrooms, 1 cup of the broth, thyme, fennel, and granulated garlic to the pot. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms. Stir frequently and cook for 5 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked down and tender.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (except balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper). Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer on medium-low heat. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Take two big ladles of soup and blend in your blender (Vitamix is great) or Nutra Bullet. Pour back into the soup. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Enjoy! Serve as an appetizer or entree for lunch or dinner with some artisan bread , garlic bread or naan.
- Flour is completely optional, the soup will just be thinner but just as flavourful.
- I use a 1 litre carton of mushroom broth for this recipe, Pacific is my favourite brand.
- I have not made this recipe using plant milk (almond, soy, etc..) only full fat coconut milk.
- This soup if thickened more makes a fantastic mushroom sauce or gravy and is great over pasta or potatoes!!
- I loosely adapted this recipe from my Mushroom Gravy.
Serves 6Serving Size: 1Calories Per Serving: 188