- 2 tablespoon flax seeds whole flax seeds or ground both work fine here
- 4 tablespoon warm water
- 1 cup whole grain flour whole wheat, spelt, and rye flour are great
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed banana approx 2 brown bananas
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup oat milk or plant-based milk of choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- coconut oil for the waffle iron
- Combine ground flax and warm water in a small bowl, and let it sit for about 10 minutes to form a gel.
- Turn on your waffle iron to heat up.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed banana, melted coconut oil, sugar, almond milk, vanilla extract. Add the flax mixture, and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Brush your waffle iron with a bit of coconut oil on the top and bottom. Spoon about ¼ cup of waffle batter into each square – this will vary depending on the size of your waffle iron.
- Close, and cook until your waffle iron indicates the waffles are done – just a couple of minutes each.
- Remove waffles from the iron and onto a wire wrack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Once waffles are cool, place them in a plastic freezer bag separated by squares of parchment or freezer paper.
- To reheat, simply pop your waffles into the toaster for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with sliced banana, maple syrup, and cocoa nibs if you like.
- Nutrition values are an estimate only, and will vary depending on the size of your waffles.
Calories: 236kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 165mg | Potassium: 331mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 80IU | Vitamin C: 2.6mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 1.5mg