PREP TIME 10 mins COOK TIME 55 mins TOTAL TIME 1 hr 5 mins COURSE Dessert CUISINE American, International, Western SERVINGS 10 CALORIES 226 kcal
- 2 tablespoon ground flax
- 6 tablespoon water
- 3 medium very ripe bananas mashed well
- 5 tablespoon vegetable oil or applesauce
- 8 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (100g) whole-wheat flour can substitute all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (100g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda bicarb of soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 handful Walnuts or other nuts
- 1 handful Chocolate Chips
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 175C/ 350F. Lightly grease a 9×5” (2lb) loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or vegan butter.
- Stir the flax into 6 tablespoons water, then let sit for 5 minutes to thicken up. I use a mug for this. The flax will turn slightly gelatinous and this mixture will be the vegan egg substitute for the vegan banana bread.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas really well, then beat in the oil, sugar and vanilla (you can do this by hand of with an electric mixer). Stir in the flax/water mixture.
- Sift in the flours, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt (you’ll need to tip the sieved bran back into the bowl if using wholewheat flour) and gently stir to combine completely, but do not overmix. If adding walnuts or chocolate chips, add them now.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread to the edges in an even layer.
- Slice the last banana lengthways and place decoratively on the top of the batter. Brush with the maple syrup or sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 55-65 minutes or until an inserted skewer or toothpick comes out clean. If the banana bread is browning too quickly, place tin foil over it while it continues baking.
- Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Use really ripe bananas – dark, smushy, spotty ones!
- If you don’t have flax for the flax eggs, use the same quantity of chia seeds instead and follow the same method.
- Make vegan gluten free banana bread – just substitute gluten free plain flour and check that your baking powder is gluten free.
- If you don’t have wholewheat flour, just use all plain (all purpose) flour.
- You can leave out the decorative bananas on the top if you prefer.
- Feel free to add a handful of chocolate chips or chopped nuts into to the batter!
Calories: 226kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 3gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 117mgPotassium: 248mgFiber: 2gSugar: 13gVitamin A: 25IUVitamin C: 3.1mgCalcium: 37mgIron: 1.3mg