Prep Time: 5 Cook Time: 25 Total Time: 30 Mins Yield: 2 Servings 1x Category: Mains Method: Oven and Stove Top Cuisine: AsianDiet: Vegetarian
For the Sweet and Spicy Asian Noodles
- 150 grams noodles (any kind)
- 1 tbsp oil (any kind: extra virgin olive oil works best or sesame oil is great too)
- 1 tbsp garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha (or any chilli sauce)
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Spring Onions
For the crunchy baked hoisin tofu
- 200 grams firm or extra firm tofu (see note 1)
- 1 tbsp corn flour or corn starch
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (preferably toasted)
- Cut the dry, moisture-free tofu block into chunks or cubes of your desired size. (See Note 1 to check out the detailed post with tips on how to get rid of the moisture from tofu.)
- To a large mixing bowl, add tofu cubes, oil, corn flour (or corn starch) salt and pepper. Give it a gentle mix and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake at 200 degrees for 25 minutes or until the tofu is browned up from the outside. Do not over-bake, as it will dry out completely.
- While the tofu is baking, prepare the sticky sweet and spicy noodles. Start by cooking noodles as per package instructions and just al dente.
- In a large pan, add oil and garlic and let cook for a few seconds.
- Add the noodles, soy sauce, honey, chilli sauce (Sriracha), salt and pepper. Mix well until the noodles are well coated in the garlicy, sweet, spicy, sticky, Asian sauce. Keep aside.
- Transfer the golden brown crispy baked tofu to a mixing bowl and add hoisin sauce and sesame seeds. Mix well.
- Assemble the bowl: Transfer the noodles to a bowl and add the hoisin covered/ coated crunchy oven baked tofu. Add some more spring onions, probably some toasted peanuts if you like and serve warm.
- The number one tip to make really delicious baked tofu is to get rid of all possible moisture from the tofu block. The easiest way to make the firm tofu really dry and free of any excess moisture is to wrap it in a kitchen cloth and place something heavy over it, so that the kitchen towel or cloth absorbs all the liquid and every little bit of moisture is drained out of the tofu block. Let it sit covered and pressed for about 15 minutes.