Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 15 Total Time: 35 minutes Yield: 6 servings Diet: Vegan
- 1 block – extra firm tofu, pressed, drained, and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup – soy sauce
- 1/3 cup – white vinegar
- 1/4 cup – hot water
- ½ teaspoon – Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base
- 1 medium – russet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons – vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon – whole peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon – granulated sugar
- Press and drain your tofu for about 30 minutes. Once most of the water has been pressed out, cut the tofu into bit size squares. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, white vinegar, hot water and Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base. Mix to combine, while making sure the broth paste has fully dissolved.
- To the bowl, add in the cubed tofu. Combine it with the sauce, making sure each piece is covered in the sauce. Cover the bowl, and allow the tofu to marinade for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, drain the tofu over a strainer and reserve the sauce. The sauce is the main component!
- Next, heat the oil in a wok or large sauté pan with high sides over medium heat.
- When the oil is ready and glistening, add in the tofu. Cook on one side for about 3-4 minutes until browned. Continue to do this until most of the sides are nicely browned.
- Add in the garlic, peppercorns, and bay leaves to the pot. Cook to open up the aromatics. About 2-3 minutes.
- Then add in the potatoes, the reserved sauce, and sugar. Mix to combine. Bring it up to a boil, cover the pan and turn down the heat to medium-low. Let it continue to simmer for 8 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Turn off the heat. Serve over a bed of rice and enjoy!
- If you can’t find Better Than Bouillon, you can replace it and the hot water with a 1/4 cup of vegetable broth.